Enforcement of Court Orders Dedicated to Providing Efficient, Knowledgeable Legal Counsel

Enforcement of Court Orders

Holding Your Former Spouse Accountable to Your Divorce Agreement or Court Order

Once an agreement or court order exists regarding family law matters such as property division, child custody, or child support, the order should be followed. What can you do if your former spouse or partner fails to pay spousal support, sell property, or fails to follow custody terms according to the court order or agreement? A first step in getting help is to seek the advice of an experienced family law attorney.

The lawyers at Vitale Family Law in Raleigh help North Carolina residents who are experiencing difficulties because another party in a family law case is not following court orders or agreements. We can evaluate your case and recommend the next best steps toward enforcement.

Enforcing Private Contracts — Separation Agreements & Property Settlements

Private contracts, such as separation agreements and property settlements, are generally enforced by a civil action for specific performance and breach of contract. If you want to challenge the terms of the agreement a party is trying to enforce, certain defenses may be available to you.

Enforcement When the Other Party Is in Contempt of the Court

Court orders are enforced by actions for contempt, which can be a civil or criminal action. If enforcement of a court order is sought, a motion to show cause is filed, and an order to appear and show cause is usually issued by a court. In order to prevent a finding of contempt the burden is on the accused party to show that he or she has not willfully and knowingly violated the terms of a court order.

Enforcement of North Carolina & Out-Of-State Child Custody Orders

Your family law attorney can advise you on what actions to take if your former spouse is failing to follow a child custody order.

If you are attempting to enforce the terms of an out-of-state custody order, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act applies and the court order must be registered in North Carolina.

What If You Are Unable to Fulfill Your Side of a Court Order?

If you find yourself in a position where you may not be able to fulfill the terms of a court order, you should consider filing an action to modify the court order and/or negotiate a change in terms.

Get Help with Enforcement of Court Orders

Vitale Family Law can advise you on enforcement options in your case. Get started by calling (919) 635-5905 or completing our online intake form.

  • 2024 Best Law Firms
  • Lori Vitale
  • Lori Vitale
  • Lori Vitale & Kim Wallis
  • Lori Vitale
  • Lori Vitale, 2011- Present
  • Lori Vitale, 2012- Present

Dedicated to Client Satisfaction

Read What Our Clients Have to Say
  • “I came to Lori at a very low point and in great need of help. Her professionalism, expertise, and compassion were evident throughout my experience with the firm. Everyone there treated me with great ...”

    - Alvin R.
  • “Lori is ‘The Best of the Best’ family lawyer in Raleigh.”

    - Mark W.
  • “Many Thanks to Vitale Family Law firm for helping me throughout my divorce case and I can definitely say they are uniquely qualified Raleigh family lawyers, no doubt about it.”

    - Edward J.
  • “With the help of Vitale Law Firm the issues got resolved in a peaceful manner.”

    - Susan D.
  • “Kind, yet professional, providing explanations and follow-through”

    - Ann T.

Why Hire Us?

Passionate About Helping People
  • When You Hire Our Firm, You Hire Our Entire Team
  • Attorneys Lori, Kim & Jennifer are Board Certified Specialists in Family Law
  • Over 50 Years of Combined Experience in Family Law
  • Exclusive & Intentional Focus on Family Law